Hottest Threads
No Threads created
Advertisment

View Thread
The Blade Order » World of Warcraft » Warcraft Chat
 Print Thread
Downraking == unintended technique
Ralpbix
As you may have noticed, in this latest build we have updated spells and abilities using mana. These no longer cost a fixed amount and instead they're a percentage of your base bana, not including any mana increase from Intellect. For the most part this should mean mana-based spells and abilities are costing roughly the same amount as they do in the live game, though there might be some slight changes either up or down. But we have tried to keep them as close as possible to the same mana cost for a level 70 as they are now in the live game.

What will change though is that lower rank spells will lose their appeal. We have made this mana cost change purely to prevent downranking, which is an unintended technique that we were not at ease with. We've previously tried ways to discourage it, but have decided that we'd rather find a solution than continue to find ways to penalise those who choose to downrank. The solution we chose was to make downranking obsolete, encouraging people to always use their highest rank of each spell and nothing else.The highest rank of a mana-based spell or ability will now remain the most powerful effect, but at the same mana cost as earlier ranks.

We're certain that for some people this will cause a period of readjustment. Hopefully removing a few more of the extra buttons you've been pressing will eventually be seen as a good thing; it might also be easier for some people to do their role without having to learn to downrank. We are anticipating such a big change may have some teething problems, perhaps causing balance issues, and we're all set to deal with them as they arise. In the meantime, we appreciate any comments and feedback related to this change.

BigChubby
So does this mean that any spell you cast no matter the rank will cost the same % amount of mana, for instance if i use chain heal rank 2 it costs the same mana as chain heal rank 5?

this could be good depending on which spell they take the % value, I mean at the moment chain heal rank 3 costs me something around 405 mana where as rank 5 costs me 540 thats a big difference and even taken as a % its a big difference. If they intend to take the % from the highest rank spell then they just nerfed resto shamans into extinction.Sad
sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/4617614JcRDr.png

Ralpbix
As far as I know, will the the lower rank spells cost more mana to use then the highest rank spell. As the % modifier will only work on the highest rank.

heijaangel
img246.imageshack.us/img246/3945/downrankdeadsw2.jpgimg246.imageshack.us/img246/874/downrankdeadqd5.jpg

img246.imageshack.us/img246/5978/downrankdeaduo3.jpg
Edited by heijaangel on 14-08-2008 11:07
i.imgur.com/3TqrN.png
i43.tinypic.com/mtkq3a.png

What is SeX? SeX Is When A Boy Put His Location In A Girls Destination To Increase The Population Of The NeXt Generation. Do You Get My EXplanation? Or Do You Need a Demonstration?

There are 10 kinds of people. The 1's that understand binary and the 1's that dont.

BeastPriest
If I cast my rank 4 heal at 300mana instead of my rank 7 heal at 750 mana, being forced to cast my rank 7 heal at 600 mana with these changes will gimp me... =/ they had better do something to fix that, like triple the base mana pools or something Pfft

Sucks!
img594.imageshack.us/img594/6950/tazp.pngi.imgur.com/zQ021Zs.pngi.imgur.com/IIM34ns.pngi.imgur.com/cEXBSmo.png

BigChubby
I think i'll respecc enhancement come WOTLK by the looks of it, these changes will ruin healers unless as beast says we get huge mana pools and by huge if we take 11k as being ok for lvl 70 with down ranking if i couldnt down rank and needed to use my highest spell at lvl 70 i would need closer to 20k mp to be able to heal a boss encounter
sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/4617614JcRDr.png

BeastPriest
I will spec Shadow to level up, but will switch back to healing at 80 I think. At least to give it a go. Somebody has to be the first healer in TBO to clear a level 80 instance Pfft

They seriously need to think about what they are doing with these changes though if they are planning on implementing them. Things like improving dmg reduction on tanks, or increasing hit points for tanks, maybe even improving on healer mp5 stats would help.... but keeping things as they are now, say the average healer has 15k mana at level 80, I can't see this change working very well in our favour Smile
img594.imageshack.us/img594/6950/tazp.pngi.imgur.com/zQ021Zs.pngi.imgur.com/IIM34ns.pngi.imgur.com/cEXBSmo.png

Valeria
I find it stupid as well, but it's still Beta so there is no need to run for the hills yet.

Just wait until it's released, a lot will chance anyway even after the release with patches.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Any one still really use this website?

Yep
Yep
14% [2 Votes]

Only very ocassionally
Only very ocassionally
71% [10 Votes]

Nope. Hang on how did I end up here?
Nope. Hang on how did I end up here?
14% [2 Votes]

Votes: 14
You must login to vote.
Started: 28/10/2018 12:48

Polls Archive
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

01-01-2024 13:01
happy new year !

08-06-2023 10:47
Shock

12-11-2022 02:07
Thanks for keeping the site alive <3

08-11-2022 07:59
Hi! How are you guys? How life is treating you? Just growing older, building our lives, finding no time, the usual stuff... Grin

18-11-2021 16:32
Been working from home since march last year - but walk away from taht laptop at 4pm not to return til 7:30 next day! lol you?

08-11-2021 07:31
How are you doing guys? Working from home day and night, or quit your job? Kisses!

07-06-2021 20:22
still alive, TBC classic on the menu these days!

26-04-2020 19:50
Hi Guys! Not playing wow but still alive! How are you all? Kisses! Wink

27-01-2020 13:49
I played Classic until I was nearly level 60. It needs The Burning Crusade really for me though. I am lurking around Daggerspine again for a while, trying to get used to the changes lol

24-01-2020 09:29
Komodo (Antique) and Thebizzy are playing WoW classic these days. You're more than welcome to join us if you'd like. We're on the Bloodfang server =)

08-01-2020 18:26
Hey guys, Hope you are all well for 2020! Still think about our old raiding days and honestly miss it and you lot. xxx

08-09-2019 21:11
Hello! How is everyone? Are some of us still playing? Wow classic maybe? I miss the whole thing... kisses!

10-08-2019 14:34
there is a tbo discord server now https://discord.gg
/pfBNpyg

10-08-2019 13:33
doing a great job keeping the page alive ! so clasit where are we going ?

20-12-2018 22:25
TBO FOREVER! Grin

Top Top  3,502,424 unique visits  Top Top