Top wod thoughts?
Hottest Threads
No Threads created
Advertisment

View Thread
 Print Thread
Needing computer advise
Cuteprincess
I am looking at buying a new computer... I have a budget of £550 max because I have vouchers for comet.

I have no idea when it comes to choosing the right one so I need your advise, I obviously need a computer than can run wow smoothy, I also use the computer for general internet, pc games etc.

Please let me know your ideas (I am happy with my current monitor, keyboard, mouse etc so am just looking at getting the base unit)

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/cate...Base-Units

Melos
TBH cutie i wouldnt chose any of em :/ after looking at all of them with dedicated graphic cards i am not impressed :/
Edited by Melos on 27-08-2010 21:45

Xengara
Have to agree with Melos here... It's really, really expensive compared to other stores.. at least if you look at danish stores.. and everything is expensive in Denmark..
Would you be interested in merely upgrading a few of your outdated components?
I'm unable to find any hardware on Comet's homepage, so I'm not sure they sell stuff like that, and then you might not be interested... :S

Oh well.. If you're somewhat intriqued please post your current hardware specifications, so we can see if it's even possible ^^

chazyj
If you can pay a bit more i know of some pc that will play wow and sc 2 at the same time why in a 25 man raid in full graphics and your only looking at about £660 but its up to you lol
1. chesney

slang name for a guy with a huge wang.
"woow your chesney is massive"

mato
ar you able to build your self , it maks it cheeper and you normaly get a behter overall system
bildr.no/thumb/481397.jpeg

BeastPriest
Yea I wouldn't touch any of those machines from Comet. Even the most expensive ones aren't very well specced.

If I were you I'd save some money and go somewhere else. Maybe even consider getting one custom built, there's several places in the UK that do good ones.

I had my current one built by www.arbico.co.uk. Cheap and good service. I did spend a lot but you can get cheap machines too Pfft

Darkwon
Thats where i got mine too Beast, Arbico have been really good with the computer options and there after sales care is great.

Unfortunately, I think Cutie has got Vouchers from Comet, so is restricted to what she can buy =(

mato
wow the specs realy was horibel on thos at comets

looking at norwegian pages this is not a bad system ( am not expert )
and ther is room to upgrade the meory and cpu to a bether one but i cant link the changes sadly .

http://www.komplett.no/k/config.aspx?...emId=10394
bildr.no/thumb/481397.jpeg

BeastPriest
Yea I'm pleased with Arbico Smile

And about the vouchers, yea, thats why I mentioned save up and get one Pfft

I suppose you could buy something with the vouchers and then ebay it and put the money you get towards your new pc instead?

Corthala
An Intel i5 7xx, 4gb of the cheap p13333 ram, preferably kingston value, corsair PSU, ati 5850 and a motherboard that isn't ASUS... That can take ANYTHING you throw at it, at present time, in 1920x1200 8xaa 16xas

if you assemble it youself, or get a nerd to do it, you should be able to get it for around 600 euro
Edited by Corthala on 28-08-2010 22:51
In the presence of greatness, the humble can only bow!

Hrothgar
Hey there Cutie. .

I jsut bought a new computer, a hp. never bought hp before, but I must say, this one is really good, and kind of cheap aswell.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/dk/da/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-4150017-4232908.html

the link is in danish, but the computer name is hp dv6-3040eo. you could check it out! =)

Hrothgar

Cuteprincess
Well I managed to get one that is better than the one I had and I will be saving up for a better one. The spec I have have is...
Acer AX3950
Windows 7
Intel Core i3 processor 540
4GB DDR3
1TB hard drive
DVD super multi
Nvidia GeForce 315

I have no idea what any of that means but its running smoother than before, I have currently installing wow and then I guess I will be trying to install all of my add ons and getting in a mess Grin
Edited by Cuteprincess on 31-08-2010 14:10

Corthala

Cuteprincess wrote:
Well I managed to get one that is better than the one I had and I will be saving up for a better one. The spec I have have is...
Acer AX3950
Windows 7
Intel Core i3 processor 540
4GB DDR3
1TB hard drive
DVD super multi
Nvidia GeForce 315

I have no idea what any of that means but its running smoother than before, I have currently installing wow and then I guess I will be trying to install all of my add ons and getting in a mess Grin

Did you... pay for that?
In the presence of greatness, the humble can only bow!

Cuteprincess
Yeah, I had vouchers so i had to get one from comet... It was £499 - Now i have the task of saving up for a custom built one.

sunsetfunk
Think with specs like that, you'll be safe for WoW for at least a few years, its not going to be the most powerful, but you wont get much in the way of system lag. Although Id recommend getting a graphics card for it quite soon, as the on board graphics will slow you down a touch; You can get some fairly cheap that will do the trick, an 'Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB' is a good starter one, and it wont cost the earth anymore. It is fairly basic, but will run WoW now and when the expansion hits with a higher graphical need.

Maybe also if you're playing for a long period of time, take the side off the pc (acer desktops usually have a catch so it pops straight off), so it can stay cooler, as store-bought pc's can sometimes overheat, but other than that, fromt he ones you linked Id say you got one of the better ones

Funk

Versipellis
well my biggest concern is always the graphic card and my price/performance vise champion these days is Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X 1 GB 128Bit GDDR5 16X .. now this is a beast in custom pcs which won't cost a fortune for you.. i also am a fan of Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X 1 GB 256Bit GDDR5 16X which i assembled a pc with this one and this is a BEAST we hit top numbers on benchmark tests but the thing is it costs around 400 euros on its own sooo : (

if u have a discount on that shop use it but do yourself a favour imho lose the nvidia.. it's long dead.. go for ati and go for sapphire chipsets.. gl and hope u get yourself a nice machine : )
www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/6/2/9/3/2/2362932nlaAG.png
DPS with a "tude".. How suprising..

You can run.. But you just die tired..

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Any one still really use this website?

Yep
Yep
14% [2 Votes]

Only very ocassionally
Only very ocassionally
71% [10 Votes]

Nope. Hang on how did I end up here?
Nope. Hang on how did I end up here?
14% [2 Votes]

Votes: 14
You must login to vote.
Started: 28/10/2018 12:48

Polls Archive
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

01-01-2024 13:01
happy new year !

08-06-2023 10:47
Shock

12-11-2022 02:07
Thanks for keeping the site alive <3

08-11-2022 07:59
Hi! How are you guys? How life is treating you? Just growing older, building our lives, finding no time, the usual stuff... Grin

18-11-2021 16:32
Been working from home since march last year - but walk away from taht laptop at 4pm not to return til 7:30 next day! lol you?

08-11-2021 07:31
How are you doing guys? Working from home day and night, or quit your job? Kisses!

07-06-2021 20:22
still alive, TBC classic on the menu these days!

26-04-2020 19:50
Hi Guys! Not playing wow but still alive! How are you all? Kisses! Wink

27-01-2020 13:49
I played Classic until I was nearly level 60. It needs The Burning Crusade really for me though. I am lurking around Daggerspine again for a while, trying to get used to the changes lol

24-01-2020 09:29
Komodo (Antique) and Thebizzy are playing WoW classic these days. You're more than welcome to join us if you'd like. We're on the Bloodfang server =)

08-01-2020 18:26
Hey guys, Hope you are all well for 2020! Still think about our old raiding days and honestly miss it and you lot. xxx

08-09-2019 21:11
Hello! How is everyone? Are some of us still playing? Wow classic maybe? I miss the whole thing... kisses!

10-08-2019 14:34
there is a tbo discord server now https://discord.gg
/pfBNpyg

10-08-2019 13:33
doing a great job keeping the page alive ! so clasit where are we going ?

20-12-2018 22:25
TBO FOREVER! Grin

Top Top  3,477,972 unique visits  Top Top